Saturday, August 23, 2014

Did I miss it?


I am reading through the Bible in a year this year. Now I didn't start on time and I am not really reading the bible...in the standard way. I am listening to the Bible on Youversion which is just plain an excellent app, not to digress. 

I am reading through the plan which has a gospel reading, an Epistle reading,  a psalm and a Old Testament passage. Now remember I am a pretty cognitive, grounded, right brain kind of guy. Put me in an art museum and I just don't get it, if it is anything other than Rembrandt. Now that guy could paint...ok, ok, Monet has it going on it. I kind of get him...

But even a right brain kind of guy like me didn't miss this when I saw it this morning. These two verses were right next to each other...

1 Corinthians 15
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God,who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
Psalm 93 

1 The Lord reigns; he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed; he has put on strength as his belt. Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved.2 Your throne is established from of old;
you are from everlasting.

So what do you think that God is saying, Kurt? And isn't it just coincidence? 

The lesson that I am learning in a variety of contexts is that God speaks in a many of ways...sometimes in what seems to be random events. 

After all who would have thought that just on the right day I would end up with just what I needed at just the right time even though I started late on the reading through the Bible thing. Only a God who pleasures in creating for us within the contours of our lives meaning, hope and grace would worry about such details.

His love continues to call us, even when the chaos of the world that surrounds us, seems to be overwhelming. The quiet call of his voice to our hearts contiues. He reminds us that he has victory over death and sin.  He calls us to stand firm in the middle of it all with his quiet incessant, insistent nudge to love like He loved, to live like He lived and to hope like He hoped.

Then we can even find the majestic in the middle of the everyday. He reminds us that He is sovereign even when in the intersection of faith and our world is a painful one.

Thank you Holy One for your victory and your Spirit's clear call.


No comments: