Monday, February 24, 2014

Another Song Stuck In My Head


The Part Where You Let Go
When the rain, breaks the road
are you holding on, are you holding on
to your last good day
when the stone breaks the wheel
are you holding, are you holding on
til the stone rolls away

And I don't know
Is this the part where you let go
and tumbling out of a window
is this the part where you find out I'm there
for you

When the sun leaves the field
are you holding on, are you holding on
to the last sweet light
when the flame leaves your eyes
I still see you there, I still see you there
                                               on your darkest night.

And I don't know
is this the part where you let go
in sinking under a shadow
is this the part where you find out
I'm there for you now

As your hands breaking free
I am holding on, I am holding on
as you held on to me

And I don't know
is this the part where we let go
tumbling out of a window
is this the part you're there for me

And I don't know
is this the part where you let go
in sinking under a shadow
is this the part where you find out
I'm there for you
you find out I'm there for you
you find out I'm there for you


This song got stuck in my head. Has that happened to you recently? I hope so. It is one of the ways that I know that I haven't lost the ability to connect with the artistic...the mystery of it all. Now that being said, I have no idea why some songs get stuck and others just flow through my ears.

I wonder if it is something that I just need to hear at that particular moment in life's journey. I love this song. It is from my current new listen but this song has stuck. This is a song by Hem.  They are a group that has an almost cool handed way of presenting a song...almost a "listen if you want to...but I am not sure if I really care whether you listen or not."

Now, when a song hits me, it becomes the song that I push the repeat button again and again...as I write this the song is playing in the background...."Is this the part where you find out that I am there for you?" Some lessons need to be repeated time and time again...

Now this song as you can see has some level of darkness to it. I am sure that you have picked up that it is a love song...but maybe not just another silly love song.

It is about about letting go of control, and of discovering that being there is the important part. Might I just suggest that these are two very important life lessons to be remembered.

 It could be about friendship...or even a bit of the spiritual and the mysterious Other that tracks our days.  I know I will make some of my friends nervous by referring to God as the mysterious Other.  But for all our seeking there is a level at which he is maker and we are forever the pot on the potters wheel, wondering about the maker. Knowing a bit...but still at times overwhelm by the wonder and the mystery of the Maker.

So often I want to keep things in neat categories of work, family, spiritual and secular...distinction that
art knows nothing of...and truth be told God doesn't either. Does God speak through a simple song? I hear him in the thunder and in the slippage of my tires on the ice on the road as I drive...so I guess I can accept that the songs that stick are saying something about me but also something about what needs to break through to me. 

From history on this kind of thing,  I know the the mingling of the things that I want to keep separate is always the beginning of a growth cycle in my life. Mind you,  it is seldom a comfortable process. So this little song that got stuck in my head and wormed it's way into my heart is telling me about the need to listen on more levels than I want to...to allow myself to just sit with it a while and see what God has to say.  Maybe Emanuel is saying...

is this the part where you find out
I'm there for you
you find out I'm there for you
you find out I'm there for you...

Lesson learned is simple: listen on as many levels as mind, heart, soul and ears can, and just maybe through the listening the message will sink in.  It could be just another silly song..and then again...





No comments: