Sunday, January 19, 2014

Winter Doesn't Last Forever


I am at the winter blahs...it is cold but not cold enough to be fun.  It is wet but not wet enough to be useful.  Winter at about this time every year it just a drag. The storms don't seem to bring a white blanket anymore.

Right now, it seems like the snow comes down brown and dingy around the edges.  You are right this is depressing. When even the winter darkness surrounds me...there is the fire and a warm place out of the chill. 

This picture is from the Olde O'Brien Inn. Now why they put an "e" on the end of Olde  I have never figured out.  But I know that there are nights when this fire with a comfortable cup of coffee in my hand reminds me that winter does come to an end.  In June I will not want to be this close to a wood burning fire. Not to mention, that time continues it work on me and those that surround me.  There is the reality that hope, grace and God's work in my heart are not dependant on the season of the year so much as the seasons of the heart. 

Psalm 90:12-14

12 So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
13 Return, O Lord! How long?
Have pity on your servants!
14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
that we may rejoice and be glad all our days


So a fire and a cup of hot coffee at times reminds me that God continues his work, there is satisfaction is following even when the winter is long and the snow doesn't even seem like it is all that white anymore. There is satisfaction in following and seeing God's steadfast love every day.

No comments: