Saturday, October 5, 2013

Time Slippage

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future...

Ok so Steve Miller was right even if it was back in the 1980"s. Time does not stop even though I would love late summer and early fall to last forever.

The days of summer have past and now fall is coming to an end...the trees in upstate New York don't get any better than right now. The forest's greens turning to yellows, shades of brown.  It is a time for thoughts about preparing for the coming snow.

Philippians 2:12-13 (NASB)
12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

It reminds that my days are bounded by grace, hope and a sure knowledge of the future directed by the Master,   Even in the shortening days of fall God is at work. 

God is at work in this heart of mine to will and to work for His good pleasure.  My job is to work out the implications of the salvation that I have chosen to participate in.  There are implications "of working out my salvation" across the arc of my life's trajectory.  The working out of salvation takes a life time of following one step at a time...through all the seasons of life.

Now I have to tell you that fall is my absolute favorite season. I would be happy if all year was fall, but that is not the way that it works.   Seasons come and go and  time continues to slip into the future with depressing regularity.  Fall will lead to in a few weeks to winter's snow, and a different kind of slippage. 

But in the middle of that mix there is one thing that I can be sure of...it is God who is at work in me and all that I need to do is to follow his will and his work...in due course we will get to the good pleasure part again.


No comments: