Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Advocates and Driving



1 John 2ESV
2 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Lord Jesus--It seems like you have to advocate for me a bit more than necessary. I guess I feel about this much the same as I feel about Sweet's view of my driving. That you have to do more protecting than necessary. 

Forgive me for that...the reality is that in this fallen world sin is something that we can either deny and avoid looking at,  or it is something that the clear light of the Holy Spirit can touch with regularity. Forgive me when I am in denial and just can't see it.  It is the prayer of my heart that you will speak to the Father on my behalf...open me up when I have closed down and watch this wandering heart of mine. 

One my favorites pictures to think of you is this role of advocate...the picture in my head is of you standing next to the Father and whispering..."remember his DNA...remember that time when He really got it?  I know right now he is full of himself...but there was that time when I shined through him."  
Thank you for that picture...and that reality. Now truth be told it is more a legal term.  I am not sure why it holds such an emotional connection for me, but it does.  Maybe because of the simple yet clear realization that I am forever and only a sinner saved by amazing grace.

2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Lord Jesus--The tricky thing for me, is there is such power available to change and transform, but my tendency is to see this in personal terms and not dynamic ones.

Back to the driving theme for a bit... There are times I am sure when I act as if I own the road when really I am just a step away from being road kill. Hmmm, yes indeed, that is it. That is when there is need for an advocate...a spokes person...a defender.

3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.

Lord Jesus--So often my obedience depends on feelings, circumstance and setting.  I am not saying that is the way that I want it...but denial set side...

While I am in court, I am glad for the spokesmen but put me on the open road again,  I have a lead foot and I am wishing I had a radar detector.  What is that line..."prone to wander Lord I feel it." I wonder if that is tattooed to the back of my neck and I just don't know it. 

But you call me back again and again to the place of advocacy, the place of healing really. Your call continues which is a call to authenticity and grace.  In this day that is already started, remind me of your work and the road you have called me to.

No comments: