Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Most Recent Ear Worm- The Wood Song


 The Wood Song
The thin horizon of a plan is almost clear
My friends and I have had a tough time
Bruising our brains hard up against change
All the old dogs and the magician

Now I see we're in the boat in two-by-two's
Only the heart that we have for a tool we could use
And the very close quarters are hard to get used to
Love weighs the hull down with its weight

But the wood is tired, and the wood is old
And we'll make it fine, if the weather holds
But if the weather holds, we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go

No way construction of this tricky plan
Was built by other than a greater hand
With a love that passes all our understanding
Watching closely over the journey

Yeah, but what it takes to cross the great divide
Seems more that all the courage I can muster up inside
But we got to have some answers when we reach the other side
The prize is always worth the rocky ride

But the wood is tired, and the wood is old
And we'll make it fine, if the weather holds
But if the weather holds, we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go

Sometimes I ask to sneak a closer look
Skip to the final chapter of the book
And then maybe steer us clear from some of the pain it took
To get us where we are this far, this far
But the question drowns in its futility
Even I have got to laugh at me
No one gets to miss the storm of what will be
Just holding on for the ride

But the wood is tired, and the wood is old
And we'll make it fine, if the weather holds
But if the weather holds, we'll have missed the point
That's where I need to go


Ok, so I like the Indigo Girls.  Hold it against me if you must.   Let's over look that one of the names for pot is indigo.    Let's also over look the differences in life situation and style between their life and mine is stark.
But this song speaks to me.  It speaks of a love that somehow transcends and at the same time participates in time.  Of a hope,  that even in circumstances that are complex and led to questioning our own courage and determination,it lives on and thrives.So over an over again, I have been listening to this song.  I am glad for repeat on the MP3 player that I am using.  
Why the ear bug now?  Why this song?  Do I believe in coincidence  No! Do I think that I can understand why right now...not sure.  Can we ever understand all of what the Spirit of God is speaking into our hearts.  I doubt it.  We are spoken to in more ways that we understand...even with and by ear worms.  So listen at least until repeat stops working...
But what I know for the short term is this song reminds me that even wood that is tired, and old has its uses. That we are driven by the storm that surrounds us into more complexity not less. But that in the middle of all of this confusion there is a greater hand. No matter how stressed it is, remember humor after all it is part of what makes us human.
It really is such a simple song but I still can't get it out of my head.
I know that I am looking for hope, grace and enduring meaning in all of the places that I can find it. Here I find  at least a couple of people who are also on that journey. A tip of the hat to Indigo Girls...

No comments: