Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pieces of Peace

A sea gull  on a post in the evening air...the sun resting in the distance.  Why does this just speak peace to me?  I can almost smell the water of the   lake in the air.

For some of you, the ocean will come to mind.  A smell of salt water and the sound of surf will be in your mind.  For me, this will always remind me of Lake Ontario with the sound of gentle waves on rock.  Why does it seem like the sound of the waves is somehow different? Fresh water and salt even sound different.

Peace comes in many ways and times and so often we miss it.  The sun sets and the colors fade and the moment passes without notice.  Peace is something connected with memory and times when that sense of safety was something you could almost taste.

Peace is something that lasts not in  pictures or in  words on a page. It is found in the moments our lives...it is allowed to live in the heart.   The words of Jesus come to mind...

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Peace is a gift given without reference to the circumstances of life.  This promise was given days before the cross.  It was a part of the last teaching that Jesus was to have with his disciples.  His peace is a part of all the pieces of peace that we find shatter and sometime shattered in the space and times of our lives.

Philippians 4:7

7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Not only is peace a gift but it is a guard of our hearts and minds.  So today I will follow the pieces of peace that I find scatter along the way.

No comments: