Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Time In The Light

Time and light are connected . I would like to think that they are not...that it is light whenever I want it to be. Switches are on every wall in my house for a reason. Sometimes, I forget that the majority of humans that have lived on this rock have not had the opportunity of controlling light like I do. For most night was a time when it was time to limit activity at the very least, and fear was frequently the case as the sun set.

Time at its basic is about how many cycle around the sun we have gone, or where the star are at any given moment. Sidereal time shines down on us every moment.  Yet even with out reference to the sun there is a circadian rhythmic nature to our lives.  Almost as if the Lord in his wisdom and mercy wrote time into our biology.

Light and time give me a context in which to reference my life. Birthdays, calendars, shifting light along the window sill as I look out my window all tell me of the movement even when I am not conscience of it. 
These are some of the chains that hold us in place and anchor our lives.  A king of Israel long ago said in reference to God:

Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.



Let's face it there are somethings that I am still waiting to become beautiful. The wait can be frustrating. Time and my experience of it is one of those things. So maybe there is just the need for enough light to shine on life and the beauty eventually shines through?

After all, I am chasing after the one who said..."I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

So maybe a part of this walk is just about spending time in the light? To day as the sun shines down on me, Lord, remind me that you are the light...

 


No comments: